Sophie’s Birth

Since I wrote about Phoebe’s birth, I thought that I should also write about Sophie’s. While good for us, but not good for storytelling, Sophie’s birth is not nearly as dramatic as Phoebe’s, being scheduled and all. There was no labor at work all day or surprise surgeries. But I still felt the day was worth documenting. We also have lots of pictures to document that day!

We awoke at 4:00 am. I had to be at the hospital by 5:00, and I wanted time to shower before we left. Since I knew that we were having the baby that day, I made sure to get a belly shot before we left. This is as big as it got! My belly was pretty far out there.

We got to the hospital right at 5:00. Shortly after checking in, I was taken to a triage room where I changed into a gown and answered about 100 questions regarding my medical history. I do not remember answering all those questions with Phoebe. So that was either a new requirement, or they short-circuited that step since I was already in labor. They also ran an iv in the triage room and hooked me up to monitors. We waited here pretty much until they were ready to take me to the OR. I did speak with my nurse, OB, and anesthesiologists while waiting in this room.

Once in the OR, I got a spinal block so that I didn’t feel anything from the chest down. Pretty much immediately I started feeling nauseous. Nothing like feeling like you’re about to throw up when you can’t feel anything and you know they’re about to start cutting on you. I did let them know and they gave me zofran through my iv and placed a wet cloth on my forehead. Fortunately I started feeling better. I was really curious how in the world I was going to make it into the pan beside my head if I did get sick!

Very soon after I heard Sophie crying. Just like when Phoebe was born, I’ve never heard a more beautiful sound.
Sophie Claire King was born at 7:06 am on April 14, 2009. She weighed 9 lb. 8 oz, and was 21 inches long.

Then I got to meet her.

They showed me that she had all her fingers and toes.

I got my family photo.

Then they took her off to get warm and get her first bath. Rick went with her, and I obviously stayed behind in the OR while they closed me back up.

At this point I was offered something to help me relax and sedate me. I didn’t feel that I was all that anxious and I really didn’t want to be groggy, so I declined. While they were finishing up with me, my OB informed me that I had very little scar tissue from my first C-section. This was very good news! After they were done in the OR, I was wheeled to recovery. While in recovery, the nurse asked what kind of job I had. I told her that I was an engineer. The reason she asked is because I kept looking at her monitor (it had my blood pressure and heartrate and such on it), so she figured I was either an engineer or someone in the medical profession. That observation kind of surprised me, but I guess it shouldn’t. I was really interested in my blood pressure readings since it was so high when I had Phoebe. This time, it mostly seemed to stay normal, which is good.

I finally was taken to a Mother/Baby room. We got to go by the nursery on the way to my room, so I got to see Sophie through the window on my way. I started feeling nauseous again after getting to the room, and did actually get sick. Because of that, I was given something to help with the nausea. This new med made me sleepy, so I ended up being groggy afterall for the bulk of the day that she was born. I was also really, really itchy from the morphine that had been placed in my spinal block. I even had a sore near my mouth from all of the scratching I did to my face that day.

Later that afternoon, Phoebe got to come by and meet her sister. She was immediately fascinated with the “baby.” She was tired and cranky though, and did not stay for long.

I was surprised that I would receive IV fluids for a full 24 hours after the surgery. Last time, I know I didn’t have my IV that long, so I was kind of disappointed. I knew that getting up and moving around would help me recover easier, so I was eager to move around by the evening. I was very puffy from all of the fluids, as can be seen in the last photo of me above. I was so glad to get that IV out the next day.

The rest of the hospital stay was pretty uneventful. We had a string of visitors, which is always nice. I also had a great mother/baby nurse two of my three days there (thanks Rebekah)! Otherwise we took it easy. I was pretty ready to go by Friday morning though. As soon as I got the word that I would be discharged, I got showered, dressed, and waited until they would wheel me down. Here I am waiting:

Finally at home!

Overall, this was a very good birth experience. I agonized over whether I should schedule a repeat C-section or to attempt a VBAC. Knowing now how big Sophie was, I’m so glad that I scheduled this one. I’m also glad that since I was more relaxed this time, I didn’t feel the need to take more drugs. Because of that, I was lucid for more of the day than I was with Phoebe, even if I did have a period grogginess in the middle of the day. It was very nice to have a drama-free birth story as well.

3 thoughts on “Sophie’s Birth”

  1. I love the family picture. Do you have one like that with Phoebe? I don’t think I have any of the three of us from either girl’s birth.

Leave a Reply to Jessica Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.