|From June 2011|
So for a while now, I’ve been wanting better dress-up storage for the girls’ dress up dresses. Last year, Santa brought them a big hat box that he thought would be good storage for that. Well, the girls’ dress-up dresses overflowed that box! I thought it’d be good to get something where the dresses could be hung up. I found some items like this one from Guidecraft that we could buy, but we really didn’t want to spend quite so much. Add to that we had a bookshelf just sitting around not being used, and, well, inspiration struck.
Of course, I’m not all that handy with the power tools, so this ended up being a project I thought of, but Rick executed. 🙂 We went to one of the big box home improvement stores (I don’t remember whether we hit the orange or blue one for this), picked up a wooden dowel, some screws, and a drill-bit about the size of the dowel. Rick cut the dowel to size, and then drilled holes in the shelf for the dowel, being careful not to drill all the way through. He then put the rod into the newly-drilled holes, and then secured each end with a screw. And that was about it! The girls love their little dress-up closet.
I’ve considered decorating it with scrapbook paper or wallpaper, or something, but so far we’ve left it the wooden-colored laminate that came on the shelf to begin with.